1. Family traditions create good feelings and special moments to remember. Enjoying this time together as a family will create positive emotions in each member and these are the memories that will last a lifetime.
2. Family traditions give every member of the family a strong sense of belonging. Being a part of a family is more than living in the same home or having the same last name; it is about relationships and family bonds. Since family traditions are something you do together, they strengthen the bonds you have between each other.
3. Family traditions help with his/her identity. It helps to know that you ‘belong’ when you are trying to figure out who you are, which is a main job of the adolescent. A family that encourages a teen to be a part of it and its traditions provides a strong foundation for teens to stand on when they’re searching and defining their sense of self.
4. Family traditions help impart the family’s values to their children. Showing your teen what having the ability to love is about happens naturally when you spend quality time together – like during a traditional family activity. You will also find more opportunities to talk to your teen about serious issues as well as keep the conversations light when you observe a family tradition.
5. Family traditions offer your teen a sense a security. Every day your teen faces some very difficult issues. Knowing that she is secure and has a family to turn to is a powerful tool to use against negative peer pressure.
A strong family has a commitment to one another and keeps increasing in strength because of the time we spend together participating in family traditions.